subscript

“My heart is astir with gracious words; I speak my poem to a king; my tongue is the pen of an expert scribe.” Isaiah 46:1

Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Night At The Theatre

I went to the theatre for the first time last night. So I've had a whole day to mull over the experience. I saw the musical Once with Stuart Ward and Dani de Waal, and it was good. I didn't have some Cher moment like in Moonstruck (granted, that was an opera and a notable one at that), but I did have fun. I laughed, tapped my foot to the music, unconsciously tensed during the emotional scenes, and absolutely couldn't believe it'd ended so quickly. (Just like a foreign film, they never let you see the "true" end.) Afterwards, I bought an ill-fitting t-shirt and half-guilted myself into buying a signed copy of Ward's own album (my sister and her husband are musicians). Honestly though, I count both of these items treasures, tokens of my first visit to the theatre.

I arrived too early. The website told me to pick up my ticket preferably 30 min. before curtain. So of course I got there practically 45 min. early. What a drag. Anyhow, after getting my ticket and, finally, getting seated (in the back and off to the right, btw; student discount), I ate my $5.00 Cliff bar immediately. (There was no way I was going to rustle around trying to tear open that thing in the dark.) People were up on the stage, looking around and buying "spirits." If I'd had more pluck, I might've gone up there, but from where I sat it looked pretty simple to me. A homey set with the walls covered in mirrors and fake candle lights. Simple, but noticeable.

After a while, what seemed like musicians started playing up on stage. Real, grass-roots folk music. Stuff like Rend Collective. I loved it, of course, and thought, "Oh, how nice. They have some kind of pre-show." Well, this pre-show was actually comprised of the actors, and after each one had had a little "solo," this guy (who you just KNEW was the main guy) got center stage with his guitar and swept us away into his music. Just like that, the story had begun.

All the actors were musicians, so they played all the music. When scenes changed, they'd get up from their seats on the side, play a short ditty, wheel around objects on set, and transform the stage in no time at all. It was amazing, and I really enjoyed those bits. I couldn't tell you which song was my favorite, but I really liked "Falling Slowly," "Gold," "When Your Mind's Made Up," and "The Hill."  (After looking up the film, I've come to love "Say It To Me Now.") Honestly though, I enjoyed absolutely every single song, except...

I didn't care for Ward's voice too much. He wasn't bad, but I felt like he wasn't letting it all out. That might've had to do with the microphones because I felt as if he should've gotten "louder" at parts but held back. Dani de Waal's voice was beautiful though. Her voice soared. I wish she had more singing parts. And I loved her costume.

As for the acting, I suppose it was good. Throughout the first act, I kept thinking, "This looks like a play. It looks fake....That comeback, that was too quick. You can tell they're just acting..." and on and on. I hate when I do that. It's like when I start reading a novel and keep thinking, "This is just a book. I'm reading a book. I can't see the pictures." So I had to do what I do when I'm reading: forget the words and focus on the story. Immerse yourself in the characters' world and what's going on with them. And when I did, I enjoyed myself much more. I felt much more.

That said, if this is Broadway, then I think there might be a little hype involved. But who am I to say? This is my first impression, and little do I know of the work it takes to put on a production like that. I think movies give us the idea that certain events or experiences will always change our lives in a deeply emotional way, like having your pet dog die or traveling to Europe or going to the theatre. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. I think it's better to drop the expectations and open ourselves up to being surprised. But I digress.

Once was good. The music was captivating, the production original. The jokes were funny, and I felt like falling in love over a guitar, a piano, and a Hoover vacuum cleaner. I enjoyed myself immensely, and if I had money and time, I'd go see it again on Sunday night. I'll just have to settle for endlessly listening to the soundtrack on YouTube and putting the film on hold at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment